Suicidal Warning SignsSearch for Providers
Eight out of 10 people who are considering suicide give warning signs to those around them. Knowing the signs and knowing how to intervene is critical.
The fact is, most people who are thinking of suicide don’t really want to die. They just need someone to lead them toward a better solution. It’s important to know the signs that indicate a person may be thinking of ending his life and know how to respond.
Here are some warning signs of suicidal thinking:
- Expressing strong feelings of hopelessness or having no reason to live
- Talking about being a burden to others or feeling trapped
- Withdrawing from activities, friends and family
- Getting affairs in order, including tying up loose ends or giving away prized possessions
- Having an unusual preoccupation with death or dying
- Loss of interest in personal appearance or hygiene
- Increased use of alcohol or drugs
- Extreme anxiety or agitation
- Inability to sleep or sleeping all the time
- Drastic changes in behavior or personality
- Acting recklessly, as if having a death wish (for example, speeding through red lights)
- Expressions of rage, irritability, uncontrolled anger, aggressive behavior
- Changing suddenly from being extremely depressed to acting calm and happy
- Contacting people to say goodbye
- Making comments like, “Everyone would be better off without me,” or “I want out,” or “I’m done”
- Looking for a way to kill themselves, such as searching online for methods or means
If you think a friend or family member is considering suicide, express your concern and seek professional help immediately. Talking openly about suicidal thoughts and feelings can save a life!
The information on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your qualified mental health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. We do not recommend or endorse any specific tests, mental health providers, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on this site. Reliance on any information provided herein is solely at your own risk.